Sunday, June 28, 2009

Let The Great Hunt Begin!

This evening the culmination of months of hard work, planning, worrying, planning, changing the plans and planning some more all and even more hard work came together to kick off my third week of Vacation Bible School. And, as far as I can tell, it was the highest first night we have had since I have been the Children's Director/Minister (you can pick the title), with 52 kids!

When I first started VBS we did a "canned" VBS (I like to compare it to canned meat)... I didn't enjoy it at all. So last year I wrote my first VBS, it was good. And this year I continues with the tradition. This year's VBS is titled "The Great Hunt: Helping you find your place." It is a detective theme with a Sherlock Holmes looking guy... and we focus on 4 clues that Jesus tells us in 4 of his parables about how to find our place. And if I do say so myself, it is WAY better than last year's. I just feel so much more prepared and I feel like the lessons are better and the crafts and games are better. It is all Great.

Now, I don't want to make it sound like all the prep work was done by me, myself, and I... I had TONS of help. I would like to take this moment to say a few thanks to those people. (Who I don't even know if there read this... I'll probably tell them to on facebook though) First off, Jesus. Of course I can't do anything about him without Him, so Thank YOU. And even though we have plans, you make other plans and set those in motion so that our plans are really your plans all along. Second, Minnie Haworth. The artistic and creative abilities and your enthusiasm that you have been blessed with are awe inspiring. Next, Jennifer Hallgath, even though you aren't with me this week the prep work that you have helped with and the support you have given me are immeasurable. My parents, all the manual labor they put in to helping me build amazing "brick" walls was wonderful and I know you had a great time, too. Rob, your understanding and support and childcare have been great... not to mention the stress relief! All my workers, who aren't as obsessive as I have been lately with detail... because even though I have it all worked out in my head sometimes it isn't communicated to you and you all just go with the flow. Finally, Marilyn Marks. Even though you didn't get to be a part of The Great Hunt, you have already found where you are going. And I know that you are up there and I like to think that you can see everything, just as it is going to be and you are having a great time. We will all miss up very much, but we will see you again! (NOTE: these Thank you's are in no specific order of importance)

More tomorrow.... maybe even a video.

No comments: