Monday, December 15, 2008

Why I want to teach History and Social Studies

Rob found this article today that really just reiterates why I want to teach History and Social Studies (which includes Geography). Follow this link and you can read it too.  

It just tells me that not only do people need to have a better understanding of the world around them, or should I say "the blue area around them". But also a reason WHY they need to better understand the world around them. 

Rob went so far as to say that if you don't know where America is then you can stop being his friend. I'm not going to go that far, because I want to help you, but be expecting a lot of laughing on my part... at you... before I help you. (the laughing would all be out of love, not hate.)

Also, if anything should be learned from this article it should be that more educated people should participate in these polls (even if 63% did know where America was on the America only map) and that we should be spreading the word outside of America that America is really that big continent at the bottom of the world that is usually represented in the colour white. 

1 comment:

Peaches said...

From the article:

"Editor's note: This post is a satire."

PS Syd's poem was...AMAZING.